Welcome, new readers! Please check out the "about" pages linked up top, and please help me reach my goal of an undetermined number of feed readers by an undetermined date by subscribing!

Mint Sucks

September 19, 2007 · 23 comments

Somewhere on WordPress tonight, I saw someone had mentioned Mint. I hadn’t heard of it before, and it seems like it’s getting a lot of attention lately, so I decided to give it a go. Five to ten minutes MY ASS. An hour later, I now know that Mint is a complete piece of shit. Not only is the only way to get accounts into it by way of having the Mint site connect to your financial institution’s site to retrieve balance and transaction information, if Mint doesn’t support your financial institution (such as mine), you’re pretty well fucked.

Remember how I said that’s the only way you can get accounts and info in? Know what that means? You can’t add your own stuff! No personal loans from family & friends, no lines of credit, no student loans… squat. So thank you Mint, as well as random mystery Mint-plugging WordPress user, for wasting the last hour and a half of my time giving away all my login information for a select few of my accounts to Mint.

Now, quite a long while ago, I had found a similar site… only I remember it being much better. Naturally, as with most all great websites that I happen upon without visiting on a regular basis, I had no idea what it was called. With a bit of digging, I found a link to it – ClearCheckbook. Now, this is a site I like. You can add whatever the heck you want to it, and never have to (or even have the opportunity to) give the site your account information. It only took about 10 minutes for ClearCheckbook to tell me I’m more than $36,000 poor. That doesn’t include my Paypal Buyer Credit/GE Money Bank balance, because Paypal picked a really dick time to do “site maintenance.”

So, in conclusion: If you waste your time with Mint, it’s your own damn fault. They obviously have no freaking idea what they’re doing, and what the needs of their customers are.

Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to Debt Sucks for superior enjoyability!

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Aaron Patzer September 20, 2007 at 1450

Jake,

I appreciate your frustration. After winning TechCrunch 40, and being mentioned in PCWorld, the front page of Digg, and the San Francisco Chronicle on the same day, we got slammed with traffic.

Things are back up and running, and yes, you can now get setup in 5 minutes instead of the 5 hours it took yesterday.

We’ll also be adding student loans, brokerages, and mortgages in Q4. We may add “manual” accounts for keeping track of debts from friends or account types not supported by Mint. Our goal was to get the automatic system that links directly to your bank and pulls in your transactions and balances nightly up and running first.

Give it another shot. If you have any issues, send them to feedback@mint.com and I will personally make sure they’re answered or fixed within 24 hours.

Aaron Patzer
Founder & CEO, Mint.com

Andrew May 20, 2013 at 2355

Aaron, You are completely full of shit. I just tried your website for about a week, and it is a complete piece of crap that can’t even do basic calculations correctly. (Seriously, I made a 47,000% return on my investments, today. I always knew I was pretty savvy.) I notice that you wrote this in 2007. It is 2013! This website is utter, fucking garbage, and it always will be garbage.

Chris Sz December 14, 2007 at 1512

How do you like that? The first (and only) response to this post was the CEO of the company you were complaining about. And he posted less than 24 hours after you blogged. I’d say that’s a company that’s responsive to your needs. Given that this site just opened this year, you’ve got to give them a little time to add those extra features.
And from what I read on the Mint.com site, they aren’t the ones storing your login data and they aren’t the ones pulling the data from your financial institutions. It’s a third party aggregator used by many financial institutions. If you’re going to complain, which you have every right to do, lend credence to your complaint by doing your homework and making sure you’re statements are factual.
I have concerns about Mint myself, which is how I got to your site (through a Google search for “Mint.com sucks”). It sounds nice after YEARS of Quicken use (and many rounds of Intuit private beta testing) to have a more intuitive and easy-to-use application, but I may have to let some other folks try it out first, find the bumps in the road, and leave a well-worn and safe trail for the rest of us to travel down later. I’m all for being “bleeding edge” and the first to use a new site/app, but not when it comes to my finances.
I hope that you have a better experience with Mint.com next time, and maybe, if you do, you could post a follow-up and let us know how it went.

Will June 6, 2008 at 0226

“And he posted less than 24 hours after you blogged. I’d say that’s a company that’s responsive to your needs.”

Most companies respond quickly to bad press.

dwnii November 18, 2008 at 1933

Yeah, I have problems with mint.com as well.

Not worried about the security or anything like that though. My problem is with adding accounts. My bank is listed in the “add accounts” section, yet it’s impossible to add.

I understand that it takes awhile to get everything working, and add functionality for the umpteen gajillion banks out there, but I’ve sent 4 or 5 emails, with different, and updated content on the problem, and every single time I get the same two messages back, from the autoresponder, and then the same person every time after that. With(drumroll) the same response.

The bank’s listed, doesn’t work, and it’s been weeks now. I’m very excited about mint, and that’s the reason for my frustration.

I can’t use it!

astor August 10, 2009 at 1427

yeah, mint’s a hunkajunk imo

Bill August 21, 2009 at 1200

Aaron (CEO of Mint) is a sharp guy. I’ve seen him speak many times (once in person). He doesn’t miss a trick but it’s his business model that I have the most trouble with. Ask yourself why you don’t have to pay to use software that has cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars to produce.

The reason is that you’re not the primary customer of Mint. Commercial lenders are. They invest in Mint so that you will be enticed by their offers to move debt from one credit card to another. The new bank gets the interest on the balance you moved because they know you won’t be paying it off because it’s low or zero interest. Your old bank knows that you can’t resist the temptation of that unused credit and will run right out and buy a Wii and plasma TV to play it on. Everyone is happy, except you when the bills start piling up!

Great post. I feel your pain. I found that creating a budget and sticking too it is far more rewarding than using flashy, media darlings like Mint. You decide for yourself but I get the feeling that you at least already know that.

Atangel February 11, 2010 at 1922

useless, and no need to have to give them connection information. If you go into their forums, they have nothing but problems with every single one of their institutions. I don’t care how secure they claim it is, in retrospect, I’m glad I deleted my account. They don’t need to be using me to make money from a product that is frankly, well second rate with no support. btw, I was never able to add my bank, which IS listed. but every reply from them regarding this issue to this bank was the same. They’re clueless.

Anonymous Coward February 19, 2010 at 1122

I just wanted to add my two cents. The service seems like it would be great if it worked. Here it is in Feb 2010 and in my opinion it is still garbage. Not one single time have I logged in and had Mint update automatically. Every single time I connect to the service – not a joke, every single time for more than a year now, not exaggerating – I have to manually click the “Fix It!” button for each of my three “automatic” accounts. No information is bad. Nothing changed. Nothing needs to be updated. Mint just can’t seem to get info on the first, second and sometimes third try from anyone. This includes complete nobody institutions like American Education Services (which to date has never worked even once) and Sallie Mae (which does work, but requires 2 to 3 clicks of the “Try Again” link under “Fix It!” in account status). My bank (Citizen’s Bank) continues to fail and requires resetting almost every time (and does require use of “Try Again” every time), but after 2 or 3 attempts will usually (not always) load. Some days the services cannot connect to any of my finances.

The “automatic” association feature that is supposed to learn from how you classify your transactions has never worked and is constantly incorrectly associating things and missing things that come through with exactly the same name and transaction details every single time.

In my opinion, Mint has too many problems to be useful to me personally but I do love the budgeting features and try to update my account at least once a month just for those features. If my bank/loans ever started working I’d probably be using it weekly or daily.

Coder March 2, 2010 at 1326

Have a look at this thread over on the mint getsatisfaction page:
While I am very impressed Aaron was the first person to reply to this post, I think Mint.com is headed down the slippery slope to “the place great apps go to die”
Since they were acquired the customer service has gone to sh!t, and the number of issues I’ve been seeing has gone thru the roof. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Mint Anon May 21, 2010 at 1548

I’d echo that just because a CEO is the first to respond, doesn’t mean the problems are fixed. Especially since the gobbling up by Intuit, Mint’s fixing of problems–as oppposed to talking about them–really has gone to crap. So much potential, wasted.

Jake May 21, 2010 at 2155

Especially since it was two and a half years ago. As soon as I heard about the buyout, I thought “so much for that.” If anything, though, I also considered that it was a great business to build up for the sole purpose of selling to a bigger company, so yay for Patzer and his business savvy. As long as the acquiring company thinks you have a good product, it doesn’t much matter what anyone else thinks.

Amusingly enough, a few hours after your comment, I got an email from a rep at Mint offering to buy some text links here on Debt Sucks. I pointed out this post in saying “thanks, but no thanks” to her.

Bill May 22, 2010 at 0006

I have enjoyed reading your blog for years now and admire your character in refusing to take Intuit/Mint’s money. Continued success in all your endeavors.

b July 27, 2010 at 0253

I’d love to say it’s great that the CEO responded so quickly, but I’m actually getting pretty frustrated with Mint ignoring their Washington and Idaho customers that have Bank of America accounts. My account suddenly stopped updated over a month ago and I can’t do anything to fix it. Mint needs to work this out with bank of America or I’m going to drop them and use something more reliable. The think that really pisses me off is seeing hundreds of comments related to this problem with NO response from Mint’s employee’s.

Jake July 29, 2010 at 0057

Well, the other problem there is that (in case you weren’t aware) Mint was bought out by Intuit (makers of Quicken) quite some time ago. Larger companies tend to be less responsive.

devilduck August 5, 2010 at 1329

It’s been a few years now, and the service still sucks. Doesn’t work with my mortgages and many of my other accounts. I am pissed that they are discontinueing Quicken, even though it had it’s own problems.

quasimod September 9, 2010 at 2342

I don’t understand how the Mint iPhone app gets so many rave reviews. Their employees must be required to post a rave every morning before going to work.

All I need this shitty program to do is show the balance on ONE DAMNED ACCOUNT! It has actually worked maybe 4 or 5 times since I set it up a month ago. It would be easier if I just called my wife 3 times a day and ASKED her if she spent any money.

What a shitty piece of software.

Paul October 3, 2010 at 1306

Another big problem with MINT is their support model for end users. Support from MINT is totally off target. I’ve had several problems over the last few months and dealing with support is extremely frustrating. Yes, you get a canned “we got your support request” right away because that is automatically generated. Then sometime overnight you get a copy/paste list of things to try that generally are not even related to the problem. It seems the customer service people are outsourced labor that are skilled at doing web searches and that’s about it. They don’t seem to understand that MINT has backend processes that break when the various financial institutions change their web pages. With hundreds of financial services moving to more and more personalized web pages for their customers, it is a really TOUGH job to write scripts that will pull out the transactions and totals from the personalized web pages. MINT is only looking at general problems reported by large numbers of people. They do not seem to know how to solve problems reported by small numbers of people or just a person. There is no way to escalate a problem. There is nothing in MINT’s way of handling problems to differentiate from “power” users that understand how web based financial aggregation systems work and have uncovered bugs versus newbie users that have trouble figuring out how to enter security questions. Both groups of people have legitimate problems and need help, but they need different kinds of help.

Hopefully, MINT will figure this out and get support staff that actually read the problems, understand what is going on, and get help from the software engineers that can fix the problems. The current approach of assuming MINT is working and the users don’t know how to use their web browser or answer their security questions just drives many people to MINT’s growing competition that is late to the game, but still has a chance of capturing this market (if it is worth capturing). Take a look at MONEYSTRANDS, HelloWallet and Yodlee, to name a few, if you grow tired of hassling with MINT support to get your problems solved. That’s what I’m doing. I haven’t shut off my MINT account yet because I have 1.5 year’s of data stored and like the analytic tools. But the MINT backend software that updates transactions and balances is in serious need of improvement so their is stability and reliability that financial information can be obtained and when there are problems, MINT needs to listen to the person reporting the problem and help them get the problem resolved.

Adam October 5, 2010 at 0009

I’m done with MINT. Lack of Manual Account, No Concept of transfer between accounts to be balanced. Lack of support for my Pershings LLC. Constant non update problems. Blech!

Jake October 12, 2010 at 0513

Still no manual accounts!? Damn, I said that on day ONE.

Joshua Rodd December 4, 2010 at 2302

Amazing. It’s been over 3 years, and Mint still has no way to override when it gets an account category totally wrong.

In my case, it insists on thinking my credit card is a checking account. I get dumb stuff like notifications that “my balance is very low” right after I pay my card off, and it insists on making my credit card balance show up as an asset.

I notifed Mint of this problem half a year ago and they have yet to do anything.

Jake December 4, 2010 at 2314

Yeah, they’ve really been doing a bang-up job over there.

Gold December 7, 2010 at 1223

Yeah, Mint.com is NOT listening to its user base’s suggestions, rather the corporate Tools over at Intuit that are leading the charge to monetize Mint.

Unfortunately, they also know that no other company has stepped up with both Automatic Transaction Download AND Cashflow Forecasting, so they can continue to instruct their programmers to develop in the wrong direction.